The Montessori Academy of Virginia is a private school which was founded in 1996, with a goal of becoming a leading Montessori school in Hampton Roads. This is evident throughout the entire facility where the learning environment has been transformed to suit the needs of young children.
- The Montessori Academy provides a quality learning experience for Toddler, Pre-school, Pre-K, Kindergarten and Elementary students
- Easy access from major interstates in Virginia Beach, Chesapeake and Suffolk
- The campuses include spacious classrooms with private bathrooms, child friendly reading nooks, cozy science alcoves , gymnasiums, large lunchrooms, fish ponds and indoor/outdoor garden areas for children to discover and explore nature to its fullest; 10,000 square foot state-of-the-art facilities are situated in one plus acre lots. This environment enables the enhancement of each child’s Montessori educational experience to its fullest.
- An automated security system for the safety of the students, video surveillance in every classroom, a computerized check-in and checkout system ensures the protection and safety of the students
- Daily mopping, cleaning and sanitation by custodial staff ensures a hygienic environment
- Each of the 3 campuses reaches their individual goals of quality and academic excellence
- The school also provides before and after school extended care hours/daycare/childcare
The basic goals of our program are:
- To provide stimuli for each child’s intellectual, emotional and physical development.
- To cultivate each child’s desire to learn through Toddler, Pre-school, PreK, Kindergarten and Elementary years
- To encourage their natural capacity to acquire language and literacy skills
- To provide a foundation for higher level critical thinking through the Montessori curriculum
- To reach and exceed the current Virginia State Standards of Learning
- To develop self- independence, self-control and self-discipline
- To get along with others and develop positive peer relationships through – giving, sharing, and resolving conflicts peacefully on their own
- To facilitate social and emotional growth
DR. MARIA MONTESSORI
Maria Montessori was born in Italy in 1870. She became the first female medical doctor in Italy. Dr. Montessori, who was also an anthropologist and psychologist, developed an interest in working with children and turned away from medicine to pedagogy, and became an educationist.
Dr. Montessori’s intention was to create a scientific pedagogy – a science of education – which she achieved. In 1907 she founded a children’s home in Rome, and the education system she evolved grew steadily throughout the world. Dr. Maria Montessori was twice nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize and traveled extensively, sharing her methodology with others. Montessori is now the most internationally recognized method of education in Early Childhood.
The Montessori Foundation
International Montessori Index
Association Montessori Internationale (AMI)
American Montessori Society (AMS)
North American Montessori Center (NAMC)
MONTESSORI STUDENTS OF YESTERYEAR
- Jeff Bezos, Founder & CEO of Amazon.com
- Sergey Brin & Larry Page, founders of Google
- Julia Child, Chef and Author
- George Clooney, Actor
- Joshua Bell, Noted Violinist
- Peter Drucker, Management Guru
- Anne Frank, WWII Diarist
- Katherine Graham, Past Owner and Editor, Washington Post
- Helen Hunt, Actress
- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Nobel Prize winner for Literature
- Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, Former First Lady and Book Editor
- Devi Sridhar, Youngest-ever American Rhodes scholar
- Jimmy Wales, Founder of Wikipedia
- HM Queen Noor of Jordan
- Prince William
- Prince Harry of Wales
- Chelsea Clinton
- Montessori Advocates: Erik Erikson, Sigmund Freud, Buckminster Fuller, Mahatma Gandhi, the Dalai Lama, Fred Rogers, Bertrand Russell, Leo Tolstoy and Alice Waters
- Alexander Graham Bell founded two of the first Montessori schools in the U.S. and Canada.
- Thomas Edison founded a Montessori school in the U.S.
- Jean Piaget, Noted psychologist, was head of the Swiss Montessori Society.
- Woodrow Wilson created a Montessori classroom in the basement of the White House for his daughter.
Come take a tour of the Montessori Academy of Virginia!